Saturday 20 June 2015

Concealers - Everything you need to know + Crash test

Hello my beauty lovers! I hope you are doing more than well and everything is awesome to say the
least!
So, I've been on concealer research recently and I thought I should do a crash test. Some people are so blessed that they don't need, but some of us do.
A few things about what a concealer is and what it is supposed to do.
As by its name, it conceals. It covers up imperfections and discolourations like spots, scars and dark circles. Bare in mind that those products do not change texture, only colours. If you have spots that just appear, they won't disappear, but they can be camouflaged.
You can find them usually in cream, stick, mousse, liquid and powder form.
What to look for in a concealer?
Depends really on what the problem is and the desired result. Coverage, highlight or both?
Coverage: In this case go for a thick consistency. Stick concealers offer usually that and then liquid and cream ones. For blemishes I always go for the stick ones. I personally love the Avon Flawless.
Tip to Tip: Really important! Go for the same colour as your foundation or just a slightly lighter one. If you go for a a quite lighter it will just draw attention to your perfect imperfections. ;)
For less coverage go for a light creamy or liquid one.
Highlight: For this purpose try and find the luminous or illuminating ones, usually in mousse or liquid form. The do not offer much coverage and they contain a very small amount of shimmer to reflect the light and therefore illuminate. I use the Eye Radiance Brightening Wand by Avon.
Tip to tip: Use this product on your cheek bones, eyebrow bone, above the eyebrow, in the middle of your forehead tip of your nose and chin if you like. Avoid using them on blemishes, they won't cover them.
Under-eye area: Tricky one. If you have nothing there, leave it. I you have dork circles though go for it. If you want to highlight try 1-2 shades lighter, other wise pick a shade that matches your foundation.
Tip to tip: Now this is the most important part. Texture.
  • The most important thing, in my opinion, is the age of the skin. It is perfectly fine, we all grow up and our skin follows. Young skins can easily use stick and creamy concealers without second thoughts. After some years though, the skin is not as firm and even the most blendable stick concealer doesn't blend as easily. So when you feel that your product is not good enough, change it and maybe try a liquid one.
  • For those who have fine lines, like me, and depending on your skin type, you have to try whatever suits you best. I suggest you avoid dry concealer textures. I think the liquid and creamy ones are the best for not showing the fine lines.
  • Young skins can use whatever form of concealer the want. Lucky you!
For years I used the Avon Flawless stick concealer and I loved it. Good coverage and I'd say it lasted the day. Because I travel a lot though, I got the Protection Palette in the shade Light by Makeup Revolution. I have to say that I really like the coverage, but because I have fine lines, it creases a little bit. To be honest though, I was amazed about how long it lasted. All day. Click here for a review.
Recently, I've tried the Mastertouch Concealer in the shade Fair, but I'd go for Ivory for more highlight. It is liquid and it doesn't crease too much in my fine lines, but it has medium coverage, which is good for the summer. Click here for a review.

To sum up:
  1. Go for the one you feel comfortable with in coverage and texture.
  2. Mature skins go for liquid concealers.
  3. Do not use concealer if you have nothing to conceal.
MaxFactor Mastertouch Concealer in Fair, Avon Flawless Concealer
in Fair, Makeup Revolution Protection Palette in Light (no flash)
MaxFactor Mastertouch Concealer in Fair, Avon Flawless Concealer
in Fair, Makeup Revolution Protection Palette in Light (with flash)
Concealer swatches: Avon Flawless Concealer in Fair, MaxFactor Mastertouch
Concealer in Fair, 
Makeup Revolution Protection Palette in Light (3, 2, 1)
(with flash)
I hope you found this post helpful! Please leave any comments or questions in the comment section and don't forget to subscribe! <3
Remember to add more colours to your day, because life is beauty-full of colours!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment